Thursday, November 17, 2016

What's going on?

It's been a couple of weeks. My new reality involves me turning my phone off most days just to get some peace. I haven't even begun the probate process on my mother's estate yet and I'm ready to let it all go to the state. Some days are fine. Some days everything is fine. But there are moments that it's like this horrible reality settles over me and well, no use going into it all again. We had lice. Yeah. Sure. Like I should talk about this in public. If you have kids in school... lice will happen eventually. I'd hoped to make it through elementary school with the last kid... we were SOOO close. We're at the end of the first semester of fifth grade and she hasn't had lice yet....well, that hope came to an end. And what's worse, I'm 47 years old and have never had lice before... IN MY LIFE. I made it through four outbreaks with the older three kids without getting them. Guess what! I got them. I don't even know how. So... there we go. Death and lice. It's been a fun three weeks.

Facebook sent me one of those memories posts... you know... as they do... It seems that this time last year I wrote about waiting for the other shoe to drop. That I had this horrible feeling of foreboding. Out of the Blues had just come out and I always feel very exposed after a book comes out. Sales were fantastic. Early reviews were very critical. I guess I knew this year was coming. Last year was a great year. This year has not been kind. Blues might not have been critically loved but it sold well. The last two books have received critical praise but haven't sold many units at all...coupled with Amazon's KU fiasco that seemed to hit me hard... and, well... I don't know.

Death, Lice, and career suicide. Seems to be a theme this year.

Okay, not exactly what I meant to write. Sounds whiny and complainy. I'm ready for 2016 to be over. I'm not one who subscribes to the notion that life hands you what you ask for... but maybe I asked for a sucky year. I don't know.

My scalp is crawling just typing this. I can never have the closure I needed with my mother. But I can stop belly aching about the rest of it and get on with next year and what needs to be done to keep doing what I'm doing.

So, let's start with the obvious:

I have a new cover for Light from the Dark. I did this because the cover that I had for the past year and a half is starting to show up on other books. Just the model, dark background, title. I've seen two MM and three MF covers using that exact same pose. So, it had to be done. I also sent the book through a new round of proofing. A few things that were missed were fixed. There has been no change to the story at all.

Cover by the wonderful Jay Aheer.

And while we're talking about Light from the Dark:

LftD will be the first Mercy book to go into audio.

I haven't done audio because it's very expensive. And yes there is royalty sharing that will cut the cost out of pocket but, honestly, I don't know if the book will do well and I'd prefer not to have a narrator waiting months or years or never to recover what they earned. So I bit the bullet and hired Derrick McClain to narrate LftD. Derrick has done several books, one of Tj Klune's and several of Josh Lanyon's just to name drop a few. I love his voice and the audition read that he sent me was incredible. If this does well I'll slowly start putting the other books in audible. I'm hoping to have it available some time in January. The process takes time. I'll know more at the end of December and will set an actual date then.

I haven't forgotten about Blindsided. I promise that I'd finish the Scrimmage series and I will. I'm hoping to have it finished by the end of March. I'm hoping to publish it in April. I plan to start work on it again in January. I have a cover. It's gorgeous. I'll share it when I'm closer to a publishing date.

So between now and then... well, I started something new for NaNoWriMo. Something I didn't think would go very far. Something that I had to purge. I started work on Freefall on November 4th and it's currently 25k words. It's kind of a cross between Out of the Blues and In from the Cold. Maybe a bit of a rehashed trope for me. MC returns to his hometown to come to terms with his past... seems like a constant theme in my life that invades my work. I have no home left to return to and a past that will never be laid to rest... seems legit... I hope to keep this one at around 50k. So if it keeps moving along smoothly I'm going to commission cover art soon and maybe have it ready by January 1st. If it goes longer than 50k it will be later in January. I'll do a cover reveal in the next few weeks.

After Freefall and Blindsided... I don't know. I'm playing it by ear for next year. I want to write more straight romance. I want to write less sex. I don't know. We'll see.

Anyway, that's what's up with me and what's coming soon.

Hoping you have a wonderful holiday next week. See you in December.

Mercy

3 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your troubles and thrilled to hear about new works in the pipeline.
    Esp glad to hear that there's more to the Scrimmage series. Hope Bo and Dylan have more stories to tell.

    Happy Holidays to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto “sair’s” comment (Nov. 27), except I’m much more interested in Levi, Tracy, and Jude. Bo … not so much.

    Merry Christmas and the Happiest of New Years to you and your family. Here’s hoping 2017 more than makes up for the horrible year 2016 was.

    JackFTwist

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woops, sorry! I got my characters mixed up. More on Bo and Dylan would be okay, but I really want more about Levi and Tracy, as well as Jude, to a slightly lesser degree.

    Jack (again)

    ReplyDelete