Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Five Days of Christmas


Every year I've posted my top reads of the year. Not this year. I haven't read enough to even make a top ten list of books I actually read all the way through. Making a top ten favorites is impossible. I stopped reading somewhere along the way. I haven't read anything stellar. Not really. All genres. I don't know if it's me or if no one is writing what I want to read.

I think that is why most people become writers. There are stories that I want to read but no one writes them. I remember, a very long time ago, I wanted vampire romances...desperately. I started in adult romance in the historical department while I was pregnant with my first kid. She'll be twenty-six in April. I got tired of historical and went back to reading Anne Rice because I was bored. I wanted vampire romance...more vampire romance...and you know what...vampire romance barely existed back then. I searched for two years for vampire romance. Now you can't walk through a bookstore without tripping over a vampire romance. Strangely, I've never written a vampire book. 

Maybe it's because everything I want to read is out there now times a million. Some of it good. Most of it not so good. The problem is wading through it all to find something. I spend more time sifting through Amazon looking for that one book that will hook me and then I realize hours have passed and I've wasted all of my reading time and I give up.

Thing is, I'm not really a picky reader. Or at least I didn't use to be. 

I stopped reading. I don't read much MM to begin with. It's not really because I don't want to accidentally write what I'm reading. It's because I'm not interested in the tropes. I loathe BDSM. Sorry to the people who take the time to understand BDSM and write it correctly. It's the people who don't that turn me off. You can't navigate MM without ending up shackled and flogged with no warning whatsoever. Yes, I wrote a book with BDSM in it. I wrote it the way I did to show a young person who fell into a bad relationship. It wasn't a BDSM book. 

Anyway. I don't know. I'm bored. I can't find what I'm looking for. I'm not really sure of what I'm looking for. All I know is I can't find it. Same. It's all the same. Same covers. Same characters. Same stories. Same same same same same same. Again all genres. Not just MM.

It's me.

Could be the millions of new KU books daily cluttering up the suggestion boxes. All the same forty page short story by someone with an impossible name.

Like Mercy Celeste isn't impossible.

I never made it a secret that Mercy is a pen name. My real name is out there. I have a face. People have met me. A pen name is a pen name is a pen name. They are supposed to be better than the real name.

So...this isn't Christmas related is it...sorry for the misleading title.

Anyway, what I was going to post today was something short and sentimental and I rambled on then I was going to post a naughty Christmas picture and say see you tomorrow....

See you tomorrow...hope this keeps you warm.

Mercy









































No comments:

Post a Comment