Monday, January 30, 2017

My First Audio Book

Late last fall I announced that I was going to do my first audio book. I least I think I announced it. My life went a bit haywire at that same time. But anyway, I ran an informal poll on Facebook. Incidentally, if you really want to keep up with me you need to friend me on FB. I chose two books from my backlist and asked which one should be first. I didn't want to start with the Scrimmage series because I'm paying for this out of pocket and I really didn't want to start a series and not be able to follow through. The choice was of my last two stand alone novels, both from 2015. Light from the Dark or Out of the Blues. Both books were best sellers. Both books did equally well. I was actually surprised that the near overwhelming choice was for Light from the Dark.

So fast forward a few months and several thousand dollars later... Narrator Derrick McClain and I hit submit on Light from the Dark.

I spent the weekend listening to the audio file. It took all weekend. I wasn't prepared for that. I'm not an audio book person. I tend to tune out the reading and escape into my head. It's not that I wouldn't like to be, it's that my brain doesn't function that way. The file is 12 and a half hours long. Of course, this is my longest book to date. And I must say that Derrick is terrific. He did the various Kit voices perfectly. 

For those interested, Audible or ACX lists a charge of $300 per hour as the accepted rate for audio books. You can choose to royalty share if you wish. I chose not to. I don't want the narrator left holding nothing if the book fails.

I'm nervous. I will admit that. Light from the Dark came out in March of 2015. By the time the audio is finally released by Audible it will be very nearly two years old. It's not my most acclaimed work, but it was very popular for nearly a year. So fingers crossed that this works for everyone who has waited for me to dip my toes into audio. Did I mention I was nervous?

Okay, when?

I don't know. Seriously, this is an Amazon company, we hit submit they do their thing and release it when they are done doing their thing. Derrick says it can take between one and four weeks for them to make it live. 

So, release date will be a surprise for everyone, me included. I will post links everywhere for days and days after I get the email. Here, Facebook, Twitter...well that's about all I have in the social media line-up.

Narrator: Derrick McClain
Cover: Jay Aheer
Author: Moi

Coming Soon


No comments:

Post a Comment