Sunday, September 22, 2024

The ADHD Strikes Back

 So, after my last post about the craft blog things went about as well as you can expect, considering I'm me.

As in, no I didn't get to work on getting the new blog started. Instead, I decided to inventory my craft supplies, and that led to needing to organize, which led to I have no room in my office for all this shit. Which led to I hate my office. Which led me to Home Depot for paint. Which led me to strip half my office of everything in it. 

AND!!!

Now I need more paint. By the time I finish just this room I think I'll have spent nearly a hundred dollars on just paint and supplies. YAY.

Sighs.

I did not have to paint. I know this. We all know this. THIS IS KNOWN! I could have gone on with the ice blue walls for another few years. I did, however, really need to organize my craft shit. Why am I still storing craft stuff that I'm never going to use again? 

Better question, why did I buy those particular craft things to begin with? Like the hammering letters into soft metal crafts that I just HAD! to do. I mean I liked it. But the sound of the hammer striking metal on metal contributed to my chronic headaches. So, I still have about two hundred bucks worth of that craft, including unopened blanks. 

I spent a fortune years ago on a Cricut cutting machine. Why? I don't know. I thought it would be fun to cut letters out and glue them to t-shirts. Honestly, it is kinda fun. But the software you are required to use is buggy on my computer and it's just frustrating to complete any kind of project. I can't afford a new computer or, ideally, a new iPad, that would handle the software better, so, it's just a paper weight. I have a small amount of vinyl still, so it's not like I have a ton of that stuff lying around wasted. I do have other Cricut things that don't need the software to work, but honestly, there's better non-Cricut brands out there.

I have a whole ass sublimation printer. Okay it's not a sublimation printer, it's a basic Epson Ecotank that I converted to a sublimation printer. I didn't buy that, it was a gift. But while I had intended to use it to, once again, make t-shirts, I find that sublimation on t-shirt material is a pain in the ass and I ruin more shirts than I don't. I do like to do mugs and tumblers tho, so I'll keep the printer. The problem is, there's not much interest in the mugs and skinny tumblers. And too many people are already doing that, it's a saturated market.

Honestly, I've thought about selling my Cricut. It is registered to me and Cricut can remotely brick the damn thing so it will be tricky, but it can be done.

And while I'm here basically writing an adult version of If You Give a Mouse a Cookie, I should probably talk about writing stuff.

So, I took 12 books from sale on non Amazon sites and put them back into Kindle Unlimited with hopes, on August 25th. It's almost a month and so far I've managed a little over five thousand page reads... which is about twenty-two whole dollars.

SIGHS!

BUT!!!!! I haven't sold a single damn book on Kobo, only one on Barnes and Noble, and a whole 2 on Apple of the books remaining.... And right now, Kobo plus is reporting no page reads for August, which I hope is a mistake and they haven't put in the actual numbers yet.

I mean... I'm in a fucked or fucked dilemma here. I can pull everything from wide and put everything but Moon in KU and make 22 bucks more a month or... I can just pull everything and say I had a good run, but I'm tired of trying to figure out how to make this work. So very very tired.

Why yes, I haven't written anything new in two years. I know this. No one read the last three books I published, at least not in a way in which I got paid. Yes, this is about money. It costs money to publish. I'd like to make back more than I spent at the very least... or... you know, it's just over and I am too old and not savvy enough to play the game and should stop trying.

Like with the other hobbies, after a while, you have to know when to quit, and since I won't clear enough this year that the IRS will downgrade me to a hobbyist, that's where I am. Clearing out the craft supplies I will never use again.

I just didn't think it would be writing. 

So, tomorrow, I go get an eye exam because desperately need new glasses. And then I go buy more paint if I have anything left. And then I put back what I'm going to keep.

And then I'll figure out where to go in October. Because this shit ain't working. The book world fiscal year changes at the end of October for Amazon and Kobo. That's when it will all likely go away. I'm not going into another year with a failing business.

And that's about all I have to say about that. 

Of course, my ADHD might decide differently, capricious shit that it is.

Peace,

Mercy

Oh, and Happy first day of Fall

Y'all



No comments:

Post a Comment