Wednesday, August 28, 2024

Welp... So Much for That

 What the hell is her problem now?

I know you just thought that, probably outloud.

Did you?

You did.

Yeah, me too.

So, yeah, so much gone wrong to talk about it's really just a question of where to start and what to share.

I don't know what I'm doing anymore. I try. I plan. I think I can get excited. I end up dealing with personal shit way too much now, to keep those plans. I get to a point I think I can move ahead but nope... but that's not this, at least today.

I honestly still want to attempt the Patreon thing, but, it's probably not going to happen. I don't have time. Or brain energy. Maybe I'll just finish writing the damn thing and publish it. Hell. Who knows at this point.

Not me, that's for certain.

And yes, I know, I'm a horrible person. I should not tease if I have no intention of following through. 

I'm with ya on that. I do try so hard not to tease but life has other plans and I'm just seriously not capable of creating when shit is hard.

But again, this isn't about that.

This is about the already published books. And shit with book hosting sites. And AI. And UGH!

Okay, so... I've delisted all of my books, and that includes the one print version, from Draft2Digital. For reasons. I think the one that pushed me to the decision was the AI survey they sent out yesterday. I posted a long rant about it on FaceBook, if you want to read it, you can go there. I won't be repeating it.

I used D2D for reaching Smashwords and a slew of smaller book hosting sites, I don't use them for Amazon, Apple, Kobo, or Barnes and Noble. I go straight to the source with those. And honestly, I know it's easier to go through a third party, but you're seriously costing yourself money when it's easy enough to get to 3 of the 4 and not overly impossible to get to the 4th, just exhaustingly frustrating. Apple I'm talking about you. I mean, thank you for allowing us non-apple product users to list directly to itunes, but did you have to make it so... well, difficult really does work. But back to D2D and why... I rarely make any sales through Smashwords. Last month I sold 19 units, this month, not a damn one. And I have sold one unit ever through one of those smaller sites. So, honestly, it's no great loss. I just wanted to let y'all know that while I appreciate that D2D did ask our opinions on AI, I feel like they will likely eventually follow that trend. And I would prefer my books weren't used, no matter the offer of compensation. So I'm ceasing to do business with them. 

Which leaves my books still very much listed on Amazon, Apple, and Kobo. And maybe I'll get around to listing more on Barnes And Noble. 

And that brings me to another unrelated but related topic.

Kindle Unlimited. 

I have returned 12 titles to Kindle Unlimited. Those titles have never done all that well in wide release, or are part of a series that doesn't typically do well in wide but have always done decently well in KU.

It's really strange how different book sites have different popular books. The Adventure INK series, specifically the first two books, are the two top selling books of all time on my Kobo, but I can't seem to give those books away on Amazon. While the football books are more of a miss on Kobo but always do well on Amazon. And the straight books will sell on Barnes and Noble but never sell on the other sites, at all. 

And that's why I keep monthly records. Well, that, and because my early publishers chose to fuck me over too often, so I started keeping track of everything way back in 2011 and haven't stopped. 

So, you can find Beyond Complicated, Double Coverage, Light From the Dark, Need You Now, Offside Chance, One True Pair, Out of the Blues, Sidelined, Six Ways from Sunday, The 51st Thursday, The QB Connection, and Wicked Game in Kindle Unlimited until November 23rd. 

As you may remember I'd said I didn't want to return to KU because reasons. I made the decision after reviewing the data. I'm not happy about it, but, well, we'll see how it goes.

And that's it for me this month. I'm seriously over summer and August can go pound sand. I'm ready for the BER months. And with any hope, cooler weather, because I'm tired of being hot.

Hope you have a great rest of your month, talk later.


Peace,

Mercy

No comments:

Post a Comment